Mac and Cheese
Enjoy homemade vegan mac and cheese! You can discover a delicious new version of a childhood favorite :)
This vegan cheese sauce also makes a rich and creamy topping for broccoli, asparagus, potatoes, and other vegetables. It’s not just for noodles ;) This sauce is rich, tangy and completely satisfying. Special thanks to Laura Theodore, the Jazzy Vegetarian, for sharing her easy tip to thicken the sauce without endless stirring!
This quick and easy vegan mac and cheese recipe is perfect for Meatless Monday or any day of the week. The recipe goes from idea to table in less than 20 minutes.
If you like this recipe for vegan mac and cheese, browse the entire Yummy Plants easy vegan recipe collection for more ideas.
If you’re a beginner vegan or you’d like tips to get started, visit the Vegan FAQ and Start Here pages for tips to help support your vegan journey. Or pick up a copy of It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan.
Mac and Cheese
- 2 ounces dry macaroni
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk* I use So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk in the green package.
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Parsley chopped for garnish
- Cook the macaroni according to the instructions. While the macaroni is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a pot except the flour and parsley. Use a whisk to combine well. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Now it’s time to thicken the sauce. Add 3 tablespoons of cold plant milk plus 1½ tablespoons of whole wheat flour into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously to combine. Add mixture back to sauce. Stir with a whisk to eliminate any lumps. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce reaches desired consistency. If sauce gets too thick, add more milk.
- Transfer macaroni to serving bowl. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni. Garnish with parsley.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience