Mac and Cheese
Enjoy a delicious new version of a childhood favorite. This vegan cheese sauce also makes a rich and creamy topping for broccoli, asparagus, potatoes, and other vegetables. It’s rich, tangy and completely satisfying! I want to give a special thanks to Laura Theodore, the Jazzy Vegetarian, for sharing her quick and easy sauce-thickening tip. This quick and easy vegan mac and cheese recipe is perfect for Meatless Monday or any day of the week :) Reprinted with permission from It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan by Rebecca Gilbert. Now available for Kindle too!
Mac and Cheese
- 2 ounces dry macaroni
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened non-dairy milk* I use So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk in the green package.
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Parsley chopped for garnish
- Cook the macaroni according to the instructions. While the macaroni is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a pot except the flour and parsley. Use a whisk to combine well. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Now it’s time to thicken the sauce. Add 3 tablespoons of cold plant milk plus 1½ tablespoons of whole wheat flour into a glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously to combine. Add mixture back to sauce. Stir with a whisk to eliminate any lumps. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce reaches desired consistency. If sauce gets too thick, add more milk.
- Transfer macaroni to serving bowl. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni. Garnish with parsley.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience