Cream of Broccoli Soup
This easy vegan cream of broccoli soup recipe is soy free, gluten-free, and packed with 4 cups of super healthy broccoli! It’s a dairy free delight :) The soup will keep in the fridge for about a week, so you can prepare it for company the night before and re-heat on the spot.
You can use fresh or frozen broccoli for this recipe. If I’m running tight on time, I can simplify this recipe and make vegan cream of broccoli soup using frozen broccoli cooked just enough to be tender… maybe 2-3 minutes.
- If you don’t have veggie broth on hand, use water and bouillon cubes according to the instructions on the package to make 2 cups of broth. (I use these vegan bouillon cubes.)
- I’ve been trying to cook with less onions and garlic for FODMAP sensitive guests. I discovered that using shiitake mushrooms can add a “garlicky” taste without the garlic!
- If you don’t like shiitake mushrooms, the soup will still be delish without them. Just omit that step and add an extra cup of veggie broth.
- Use the unsweetened drinkable coconut milk, NOT the thick culinary coconut milk in can that is often used for Thai dishes. (See photo). Culinary coconut milk will give you a totally different taste and texture.
Watch me make this vegan cream of broccoli soup recipe on live TV!
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 4 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets for garnish
- 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in 1 cup of warm water
- 2 small potatoes chopped
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk not in can - see photo (I use So Delicious unsweetened in the green container.)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Soak 1/2 cup of dried shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup of hot water. Let soak for at least 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Chop 4 cups of broccoli plus 1 cup of broccoli florets for garnish. Steam the broccoli for 5-10 minutes, or until tender.
- While waiting for the broccoli to cook, simmer two cups of vegetable broth in a large pot. Add the shiitake mushrooms and the soak liquid. Cube two small potatoes and add to the pot with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, place the broth, shiitakes, and potatoes into your blender or Vita-Mix. Puree until completely liquified. This creates the smoky flavored base for your "cream" sauce! After pureeing, return contents to pot.
- Add two cups of unsweetened coconut milk to blender or Vita-Mix. Add half of the steamed broccoli (reserving 1 cup of florets as garnish). Puree broccoli and add to pot.
- Place the remaining broccoli in the blender or Vita-Mix with enough soup liquid to cover. For the Vita-Mix, pulse on 3 for 7- 8 pulses until the veggies are chopped into small pieces (not not pureed). If using a blender, blend for about 4 seconds on chop, or to your desired texture.
- Transfer broccoli mixture to the pot and stir well. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Garnish with broccoli florets.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience