Vegan Chili Recipe
This vegan chili recipe is a hearty, filling meal. It’s easy to make and stores well for next-day lunches. I like to serve with crackers, but this dish is satisfying all on its own. If you’re exploring Meatless Monday, it’s a perfect dish. You won’t even miss the meat.
I really like this recipe because not only is it delicious, but it’s also easy on the budget!
- Add some vegan cheese on top. Follow Your Heart, Violife and Daiya melt well. (For more info about vegan cheeses, see my vegan cheese review or the “What Can Vegans Eat” page.)
- If you’d like to add a “meaty” texture, the gluten-free Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles work well. They’re available frozen at Whole Foods or on the Beyond Meat website.
Chef’s note: For a smoky flavor, add 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika in at the very end.
This vegan chili recipe is reprinted with permission from It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan by Rebecca Gilbert.
Vegan Chili Recipe
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 large bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 14 oz. of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 15 oz. can of kidney or pinto beans
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 package of vegan beef
- Optional: top with vegan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil or water in a medium-sized sauce pot. Add the onions and peppers. Saute on a low-medium heat until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic, spicy pepper flakes, and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes until garlic turns golden. Add optional vegan beef. Cook for two more minutes until meat is browned.
- Add cup of water, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and kidney beans. Stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or until desired thickness is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste. Optional: Top with vegan cheese.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience