Greek Fava in Instant Pot
Have you ever tried Fava??? It’s a traditional dish from the Greek island of Crete made from yellow split peas (not fava beans). And you can make Greek Fava in the Instant Pot in just 10 minutes!
I love this easy vegan recipe because it’s inexpensive, packed with protein, and so yummy. Since it’s so quick to make it in the Instant Pot now, I’ve been enjoying it at least once a week. Serve with fresh bread, celery and carrot sticks, or just eat with a spoon! Sometimes I add capers or sun-dried tomatoes into the serving dish. See what you might like. Fava is both vegan and gluten-free, which makes it an easy dish for a potluck and a great dip for parties too. Hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Note: This is what Greek fava looks like after you remove the Instant Pot lid, before you stir it.
Note: I usually eat this dish fresh, right after it’s cooked. If you eat it the next day, it will solidify in the fridge. So you’ll need to add more water to get the desired texture. Fava will store in the fridge for up to a week.
Greek Fava Dip in Instant Pot
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- olive oil for serving
Optional for garnish
- chopped parsley
- Rinse the split peas in a strainer. Sift through with your fingers to remove any stones.
- Open the Instant Pot and add the water, thyme, salt and rinsed split peas to the metal cooking container. Stir.
- Seal the IP by turning the lid to the "lock" position. Push the sealing vent to the "closed" position. Start the Pressure Cook cycle for 10 minutes.
- Once the cook time is complete, turn off the IP and let the pressure release naturally. (ie. Don't touch anything for about 10-15 minutes.) Wait for the silver pressure release button to sink on its own. Once the pressure has been released, open the lid to the IP and stir for about a minute with a large spoon. This will break up the split peas and create a creamy dip.
- Serve immediately and top with olive oil. Optional garnish of freshly chopped parsley and capers.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience