Fresh Cashew Milk
For a quick smoothie variation, try this: Soak 1/2 cup of cashews for 1-2 hours. Drain. Put the soaked cashews in the high-speed blender with 1 cup of filtered water, 1 banana and a few raw cacao beans. Mix on the smoothie setting. Enjoy a rich and satisfying raw treat!
Chef’s note: I used a Blendtec Professional to prepare the cashew milk. You can also use a food processor, or a blender. You may need to adjust the water slightly if using these other options, and you also may need to strain the liquid using a nut milk bag or a fine sieve.
Note: You can also make a nut “cream” by using 1 part nuts to 1 part water, or even less water for a thicker “cream.” Nut cream is a delicious option for veganizing your favorite creamy mixed drinks. You can also substitute vegetable stock for water and use nut cream as a thickener for soups or sauces.
Fresh Cashew Milk
- 1 cup of raw cashews
- 4 cups of filtered water
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Optional: Dash of cinnamon or nutmeg
- Soak the cashews for 1-2 hours.
- Drain cashews and discard soak water. Add 4 cups of water, sea salt, vanilla, and any optional spices to blender. (Blendtec, Vita-Mix or other high speed blender.) Add cashews. Process on the "Smoothies" setting, or the highest speed blend setting. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for several days in an airtight container.
- Note: If you're using a regular blender, you may find there are still small pieces of cashew nut remaining. Run on the highest blender speed one more time. You should now have a perfectly smooth and frothy cashew nut milk. If there are still small pieces, strain with a nut milk bag.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience