Curry Fried Tofu Salad
Thank you to Brian Patton, aka The Sexy Vegan, for sharing his super yummy curry fried tofu salad “with a kick” recipe!
Brian says, “Food should appeal to all five senses. And this curry fried tofu salad is a perfect example of something that stimulates sight, smell, texture, and taste, and if you listen really closely, it gives you great decorating tips.”
Hmmm… I wonder what else this salad was telling Brian, LOL. He has an amazing sense of humor and always makes me laugh. To watch me cooking with Brian at his home in LA, visit the Yummy Plants YouTube channel.
Love a vegan salad with some spice!
Excerpted with permission from The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Dude ©2012 by Brian Patton. Published with permission of New World Library.
If you run out of time to cook and guests are coming soon, visit the Food Reviews section to find a yummy store-bought vegan dessert or a packaged vegan meal that is tasty and quick to prepare. I only list vegan foods that taste good, so all of the products are Yummy Plants Approved!
Are you a new vegan, trying to figure out what can vegans eat? Visit Start Here: Vegan for Beginners and the Vegan FAQ. You’ll learn about easy egg and dairy substitutions, vegan protein sources, and how to stock your pantry.
Curry Fried Tofu Salad
For the Salad:
- 1 ounce 14-block extra-firm tofu drained
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour or another flour, like garbanzo, rice, etc.
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 head red leaf lettuce roughly chopped or torn
- 2 medium cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1 medium beet grated
- 1 medium carrot grated
For the Dressing:
- 1 small Thai chili minced (you can use less depending on how hot the peppers are)
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons agave nectar
- Slice the tofu crosswise into six 3-inch-thick rectangles.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Spread the curry powder, flour, and salt and pepper on a shallow plate, stir to combine, and dredge both sides of the tofu slices in the seasoning. When the olive oil is just barely starting to smoke, carefully place the slices in the frying pan. Let them fry on one side for 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Then flip and brown on the other side, 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, cucumber, scallion, beet, and carrot, and toss with the dressing.
- Pile the salad on a plate and place the fried tofu on top in an artful fashion.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience