This vegan chili recipe is super easy to make and stores well for next-day lunches. Serve with crackers or over rice. Perfect for Meatless Monday or any day of the week!
Chef’s note: For a smoky flavor, add 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika in at the very end.
Reprinted with permission from It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan by Rebecca Gilbert.
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 large bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 14 oz. of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 15 oz. can of kidney or pinto beans
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 package of vegan beef
- Optional: top with vegan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil or water in a medium-sized sauce pot. Add the onions and peppers. Saute on a low-medium heat until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic, spicy pepper flakes, and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes until garlic turns golden. Add optional vegan beef. Cook for two more minutes until meat is browned.
- Add cup of water, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and kidney beans. Stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or until desired thickness is reached. Add salt and pepper to taste. Optional: Top with vegan cheese.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience