Candied yams are delicious for a vegan Thanksgiving table or anytime at all! This candied yam recipe adds seasonal sweetness to your Fall table. My Mom makes this as one of her traditional vegan Thanksgiving recipes, but it’s delicious all year round!
If you’re specifically looking for vegan Thanksgiving recipes, check out the special vegan Thanksgiving section with pumpkin pie, stuffing, all of your favorites.
This dish is easy for an everyday family dinner or for company. While the yams are simmering, you’ll have 40 minutes to prepare the rest of the meal.
Remember, not all sugar is vegan. All organic sugar is also vegan. Learn more here. If you can’t find vegan sugar near you, try this vegan, raw sugar.
Reprinted with permission from It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan by Rebecca Gilbert.
Chef’s note: if you have a nut allergy, but still prefer a topping, just skip the pecans and top with breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Did you enjoy this recipe for candied yams? For more easy vegan recipes, visit the entire Yummy Plants vegan recipe collection. There are gluten-free vegan recipes too!
Are you a beginner vegan? Visit the Start Here section or pick up a copy of It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan. To learn about packaged vegan foods you can find online or in most stores, visit the Food Reviews section.
- 10 medium yams
- Large pot of boiling water
- ½ cup margarine
- ¾ teaspoon salt add more to taste
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- ¾ cup pecans chopped (optional)
- Wash yams thoroughly. Place in large pot of boiling water. Be sure yams are covered with water. Bring water to boil again. Then simmer yams for about 40 minutes, until tender.
- Drain yams. Cool. Peel yams and slice.
- In a large skillet, mix margarine, salt, sugar, vanilla, and ½ cup water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and cook 3 minutes, uncovered.
- Reduce heat. Add yams and pecans to mixture in skillet. Heat uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Serve yams alone or with nuts spooned over them.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience