Victoria and JL say, “Simple ingredients combine to make a nutritious stew that is packed with flavor. This delicious make-ahead dish only gets better as it sits, so fix it today and eat it tomorrow — if you can wait that long.”
This dish is a simple to prepare one-pot meal. Sautee the veggies, add some wine, and let it cook for about 45 minutes. Start to finish, this dish takes only about an hour to prepare. And only about 20 minutes is active prep/ cook time. So you can prepare the rest of the meal while the stew is cooking. Or… have a glass of wine and relax!
Brooklyn Barley Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dry red wine optional
- 2 carrots sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 beef-style vegan bouillon cube from a 3.1-oz package or 1 teaspoon beef-style vegan bouillon powder
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- Salt optional
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent and soft, about 6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir to coat with oil. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are starting to brown.
- Add the barley and stir to combine. Stir in the wine, if using, and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the carrots. Pour in the broth and raise the heat to high. Add the bouillon and stir until it is dissolved. Cover the pot and bring the broth to a rolling boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook, covered, for 45 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
- When the barley is tender, stir in the kale. It will look like a lot, but as you stir it in, it will wilt down. Taste and add salt if needed.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience
If you like this recipe for vegan Barley Stew, browse the entire Yummy Plants easy vegan recipe collection for more easy vegan recipe ideas.
If you’re a beginner vegan or you’d like tips to get started, visit the Vegan FAQ and Start Here pages for tips to help support your vegan journey. Or pick up a copy of It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan.