Banana Walnut Bread
Laura Theodore, the Jazzy Vegetarian, shared this vegan banana walnut bread recipe! This easy vegan recipe is from her new book, Jazzy Vegetarian’s Deliciously Vegan, published by Scribe Publishing. ©2018 reprinted with permission.
Laura says, “This delicious bread makes a wonderful snack, slathered with a bit of vegan margarine, nut butter or your favorite fruit preserves.”
This vegan banana walnut bread is moist and sweet. I personally enjoy it for breakfast with some peanut butter and jam! And it’s a terrific recipe to use your over-ripe bananas. I often end up with a hand of bananas that ripened too fast and I have no idea what to do with them, LOL.
Banana Walnut Bread
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon nondairy milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegan cane sugar
- 1/3 cup extra-light olive oil see note
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas about 3 medium
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with vegan margarine. Line the lengthwise sides and bottom of the pan with unbleached parchment paper, leaving an overhang of 2-inch “wings” on the two long sides of the pan.
- Put the nondairy milk and lemon juice into a small bowl or pitcher, and stir to combine. Let stand at room temperature while preparing the batter.
- Put the flour, baking soda and sugar in a large bowl, and stir with a dry whisk until combined. Add the nondairy milk/lemon juice mixture, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas, and stir with a large spoon until combined. Fold in the chopped walnuts. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Put the pan on a wire rack. Lift the bread out of the pan using the paper “wings.” Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing. Wrapped tightly and stored in the refrigerator, leftover bread will keep for 3 days.
Hope you enjoy this easy vegan recipe!
Share your experience
Did you like this easy vegan banana walnut bread recipe? For more easy recipes, visit the entire Yummy Plants vegan recipe collection.
Looking for more vegan foods? Visit the Vegan Food Reviews section to discover products you can easily buy for vegan desserts, snacks, dairy and meat alternatives, and frozen/ packaged meals. I share vegan food that tastes good. These products are #YummyPlantsApproved! And you can find them online or in most stores.