Vegan Easter: Dinner, Baskets & Decorating “Eggs”
Celebrate a vegan Easter holiday with chocolate Easter bunnies, an Easter basket and a special vegan Easter dinner!
Let’s start with the baskets! There are many sources for vegan sweets and chocolate.
Vegan Easter Baskets
- Dandies makes vegan marshmallows, you can get a 2-pack for $14.96.
- Rescue Chocolate offers vegan chocolate crème filled eggs, $5.00 for a single egg, or $19.85 for four.
- Vegan Candies of all varieties can be found and purchased on Pangea’s website.
- Sjaak’s Organic Chocolates offers a vegan Easter basket made completely out of chocolate with a vegan chocolate bunny and eggs for only $10.75.
- Allison’s gourmet offers many vegan Easter confections such as gift baskets, peanut butter cups, chocolate bunnies, peppermint crème patties, and chocolate almond toffee.
- For candy that is “accidentally vegan,” check out PETAkids.com’s list of vegan candies.
Eco-friendly Easter Grass
That messy transparent plastic “grass” used to fill Easter baskets can become quite a hassle when it gets stuck to everything! Instead of purchasing this plastic grass, try a more eco-friendly option like recycled newspapers or craft and wrapping papers you have around the house. Use a shredder to cut the paper. (If you don’t have a shredder, you could try making thin slices with the paper cutter at a FedEx Kinko’s or at your workplace).
We’ve also read that you can sprout wheat berry grass. It only takes a week to grow a lush grass filling for your Easter basket.
Easter “Egg” Decorating, Vegan Style
Use wooden or plastic eggs and non-toxic paint. Or… use vegan white chocolate! Carve, (or if using chips, slightly melt and mold), the white chocolate into the shape of an egg and use a chemical-free dye. We found a chemical free dye made by India Tree. There may be others near you.
Alternative Gift Ideas
- Give a living gift by planting a garden of edible plants and spring-blooming flowers.
- Create a tasty gift of your own vegan baked goods and fill a basket with seasonal favorites such as muffins, scones, and home-made carob chocolates.
Recipes for Easter Brunch and Dinner
Brunch ideas from VegNews Magazine:
- Tofu Scramble
- Strawberry Ricotta French Toast
- Chive Biscuits
- Seasonal Fruit Salad
- Ginger White Peach Bellinis
- Seitan “Ham”
- Vegan Easter Veggie Salad
- Vegan Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Apricot Wheatgrass Sorbet
Now you’ve got the basket, the candy, the recipes… you’re ready for a fabulous Easter holiday. Happy Easter!
Contributed by Emily Cassel