Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Vegetable Stock
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : Approximately 1.5 hours
- Servings : 1 quart
One secret to vegan French cooking is to keep a rich stock on-hand to use for sauces and soups. We’ve adapted an old French recipe so you’ll have rich homemade veggie stock for your favorite dishes.
Note: Makes one quart; double the recipe for ½ gallon.
From The Gold Cookbook by Louis P. De Gouy
Publisher: Greenberg, NY: Fifth Ed., 1950
All recipes have been modified slightly.
¼ cup olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
½ white turnip, sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 tomato, peeled and quartered
1 large bay leaf
1 sprig of thyme
4 sprigs of fresh parsley
4 whole peppercorns, bruised
1 whole clove
¼ teaspoon salt
2 Rapunzel bullion cubes (Regular with Sea Salt Flavor)
4 cups of water
*Optional: we like to add fresh rosemary and basil too when available.
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion, carrots, turnip, and celery. Cover the saucepan and cook the vegetables on a low heat for 25 minutes. Stir frequently.
2. When the vegetables are cooked, add tomato, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, clove, salt, bullion, and water to the saucepan. Cover the pan and allow the mixture to simmer for 1 hour.
3. At the end of the hour, taste the stock. Add another bullion cube if needed, stir the stock, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. When the stock is done, pour the mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl.
4. The vegetable stock can be used immediately or cooled and stored in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for several days if kept in glass jars.