Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - “Cream” of Broccoli Soup
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Servings : 6
This easy vegan soup recipe is soy free, gluten-free and packed with 4 cups of super healthy broccoli! I’ve been trying to cook with less onions and garlic. I discovered that using shiitake mushrooms can add a “garlicky” taste without the garlic!
This vegan recipe is quick, easy, and absolutely super yummy. I think I have a new favorite!
Note: don’t use the coconut milk in can for Thai dishes. Make sure to use the coconut milk you drink (see photo). Canned coconut milk will give you a totally different taste and texture.
Chef’s tip: If you don’t have veggie broth on hand, use water and bouillon cubes according to the instructions on the package to make 2 cups of broth.
4 cups broccoli, chopped
1 cup broccoli florets (for garnish)
1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms soaked in 1 cup of warm water
2 small potatoes, chopped
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (not in can - see photo)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Soak 1/2 cup of dried shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup of hot water. Let soak for at least 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. Chop 4 cups of broccoli plus 1 cup of broccoli florets for garnish. Steam the broccoli for 5-10 minutes, or until tender.
3. While waiting for the broccoli to cook, simmer two cups of vegetable broth in a large pot. Add the shiitake mushrooms and the soak liquid. Cube two small potatoes and add to the pot with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
4. Once the potatoes are cooked, place the broth, shiitakes, and potatoes into your blender or Vita-Mix. Puree until completely liquified. This creates the smoky flavored base for your "cream" sauce! After pureeing, return contents to pot.
6. Place the remaining broccoli in the blender or Vita-Mix with enough soup liquid to cover. For the Vita-Mix, pulse on 3 for 7- 8 pulses until the veggies are chopped into small pieces (not not pureed). If using a blender, blend for about 4 seconds on chop, or to your desired texture.
7. Transfer broccoli mixture to the pot and stir well. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Garnish with broccoli florets.