Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Tomato and Onion Chutney
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Servings : 4
Bring a taste of southern India into your home with this super yummy tomato onion chutney! It’s super easy to make, is perfect with a dosa, and adds an exotic twist paired with raw or cooked veggies. Thanks so much to Mrs. R. for sharing this fabulous recipe with us – and for making the time to give us a personal Indian cooking lesson!
Note: if you have the time, we have a recipe for homemade dosa batter. Or, if you want to be able to make dosas on demand, there are several options on Amazon: a 3-pack by Gits and a 30-pack by MTR… that’s a lot of dosas. YUM!
½ teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 teaspoon chana dal
1 dry red chili
½ cup chopped onion
1 tomato, chopped
1/8 cup chopped cilantro leaves
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon tamarind paste or lime juice
1 Tablespoon oil
1/8 cup of grated coconut (frozen coconut from Indian store)
1. Heat pan, add oil. Once the oil is warm, add the red chili, cilantro, mustard seeds, and dal. Continue to cook on a medium flame stirring occasionally. Cook until the mustard seeds split and the dal turns golden brown, (approx. 3-4 minutes), then add the chopped onion.
2. Cook until the onion becomes translucent, (approx. 5-7 minutes).
3. Add tomatoes and frozen coconut. Cook on low heat for 5 – 10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the tamarind paste or lime juice. Mix well.
4. Process in the blender until creamy. You may need to add 2-3 Tablespoons of water. Consistency should be smooth (not chunky).
5. May be served immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.