Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - South of the Border Pasta
- Prep Time : 5 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Servings : 2
Having a craving for Mexican food? Here’s a quick and easy vegan pasta dish that satisfied my cravings. I used some simple ingredients associated with southwest cooking over pasta and got the perfect blend of spice and flavor.
Note: You can use rice or quinoa pasta to make vegan gluten-free meal.
8 oz. of pasta
1 small red pepper
2 Roma tomatoes
½ jalapeño (skip if you don’t like spicy stuff)
½ yellow onion
½ can of corn
1 clove of garlic
¼ teaspoon of paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon of cilantro
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Boil the water and cook the pasta while you prepare the sauce. (I chose bowtie pasta but you can choose whatever type you enjoy).
2. Prepare the vegetables. Slice the red pepper and the onion into ¼" strips. Dice the tomatoes into small cubes about ½". Mince the jalapeño pepper.
3. Add olive oil to a medium skillet and sauté the garlic, onion, red pepper and jalapeño until onions take on a translucent color and the peppers soften (about 10 minutes). Turn heat to low and simmer.
4. Add the tomatoes and corn to skillet and cook for an additional 3 minutes. This will prevent the tomatoes and corn from breaking down too much. Add the cumin, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Once the pasta is cooked, strain in a colander and add it to your vegetable mixture along with the cilantro and toss. Plate and enjoy. Olé!