Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Seitan “Chick’n” Strips
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Servings : 12 1/4 cup servings
Alexandra Jamieson of Delicious Vitality shared this fun party recipe from her cookbook Vegan Cooking for Dummies. These faux chicken treats are super delish and they only take a minute to cook! Try with our Horseradish Dip or your favorite sweet and sour sauce.
Note: we think this is a great recipe for a vegan superbowl party or any celebration!
16 ounces seitan
2 tablespoons powdered egg replacer
6 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached white or whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
1/4 cup whole flaxseeds
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coconut, grapeseed, or canola oil
1. Drain the seitan and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Slice evenly into 1/2- to 3/4-inch strips and set aside.
2. Measure the egg replacer into a small mixing bowl. Whisk in the water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and beat until totally combined. Set aside.
3. Spread out the flour on a dinner plate and gently use a fork to incorporate the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt as well as the garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne.
4. On another plate, mix the breadcrumbs, almonds, flaxseeds, chili powder, Old Bay seasoning, and pepper.
5. Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. While it's warming, prepare the strips by dredging each piece in the flour and gently dusting off the excess.
6. Dip the floured seitan in the egg replacer and then lay it on the breadcrumbs. Cover the piece with breadcrumbs and lightly press down to make the crumbs stick to the seitan crumbs.
7. Fry a few pieces of seitan at a time, being sure not to overcrowd the pan. Turn the pieces over after the bottom is golden brown and crispy, about 1 minute, being sure not to burn them. Repeat until all pieces are fried.
8. Drain on a paper towel and serve with dipping sauces.