Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Zucchini Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce & Carrot Walnut Meatballs
- Prep Time : 2.5 hours
- Cook Time : 0 minutes
- Servings : 4
This raw, vegan recipe was kindly donated by Chef Hilary Zozula from the Juice Box Cafe. Thank you Hilary!
Ingredients for "meat" balls:
1 cup walnuts
2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup wild mushrooms
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup flax seeds (ground)
1 clove garlic
Ingredients for marinara sauce:
1 cup of dry sun dried tomatoes
2 regular tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
salt to taste
Preparation for "meat" balls:
1. Blend walnuts carrots, garlic and mushrooms in food processor until smooth.
2. Transfer to a bowl and mix in nutritional yeast and flax seed. Leave in in the fridge for an hour to set.
3. Once firm, divide the mixture into small ball shapes. Place in fridge for another hour to set.
Preparation for marinara sauce:
1. Soak sun dried tomatoes in warm water for an hour or so until soft. Do not discard the soak water.
2. Put tomatoes (without the water) in blender with remaining ingredients. Add the soak water slowly and blend until smooth and liquid ( like tomato sauce).
Ingredients for zucchini "spaghetti"
3 small zucchini
Preparation for zucchini "spaghetti":
1. Remove the ends but do not peel. Use a mandolin to make very thin continuous strips of the zucchini.
2. Arrange carefully on serving plate and top with sauce. Garnish with fresh basil.