Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Pumpkin Pie Gluten-Free AND Vegan
- Prep Time : 15 minutes for crust, 10 for filling, 5 for cream
- Cook Time : 40-50 minutes
- Servings : 8
Jazzy Vegetarian Laura Theodore shares her vegan and gluten-free pumpkin pie recipe topped with homemade vanilla whipped “cream!”
Laura says, “Pumpkin pie was always a favorite, every Thanksgiving when I was a girl. I adore this delicious, veganized version, serve up with a jazzy twist — it’s wheat-free! The sweet, crisp crust is based in dates, nuts and rolled oats and can be made “press-in-the-pan” style – no rolling pin required. This enticing pie provides a spectacular finish to any meal making any holiday menu truly complete!”
10 large pitted Medjool dates, plus more as needed
1/2 cup pecan halves
3/4 cup rolled oats (SEE CHEF'S NOTE)
14 to 16 ounces firm regular tofu
1 can (about 16 ounces) pumpkin purée
2/3 cup maple sugar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
TOPPING - BOURBON VANILLA WHIPPED “CREAM”
14 to 16 ounces extra-firm regular tofu, drained (sprouted variety is preferable)
3 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon bourbon-flavored or plain vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a 9-inch pie plate.
2. To make the crust, put the dates, pecans, and oats in a high-performance blending appliance and process until the mixture forms a dough. If the mixture is still too crumbly to hold together, add more pitted dates, one at a time, until the consistency is doughy. Form the date mixture into a ball and place it in the center of the prepared pie plate (see note).
3. Press the date mixture evenly over the bottom of the plate, pushing it up the sides of the pie plate as you go, to make a crust. To craft a pretty edge to the crust, use your index finger to push the inner edge of the crust out, while pinching the outer edge in with the thumb and index finger of your other hand to make a classic scalloped edge around the pie crust.
4. Put all of the filling ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and cover the crust edges with small strips of foil.
5. Bake the pie for 20 to 30 minutes more, or until the filling is somewhat firm to the touch (the center will still be slightly soft). Place the pie on a wire rack to cool completely. Before serving, pipe whipped “cream” around the perimeter of the pie using a star tip, or simply serve a dollop of the whipped “cream” on the side.
NOTES: If you are serving the pie warm, let it stand at room temperature for 45 minutes to 1 hour before serving. If you are serving the pie chilled, cool, then cover it with foil and place it in the refrigerator for 3 to 24 hours before serving. Covered tightly and stored in the refrigerator, leftover pie will keep about 2 days.
If desired, you may use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 10-inch round before placing it in the pie plate.
BOURBON VANILLA WHIPPED “CREAM”
Put all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Taste and add more maple syrup if a sweeter flavor is desired. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours or up to 24 hours and serve.