Vegan Recipe - Oyster Mushroom and Baby Bok Choy Curry
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Servings : 4 servings
Did you know you can be Paleo – and Vegan too?! Ellen Jaffe Jones explains the concept beautifully in her new book Paleo Vegan, with recipes created by Alan Roettinger. We love this “foraging” recipe for Oyster Mushroom & Baby Bok Choy Curry, used with permission by Book Publishing Co.
12 ounces firm tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes (optional)
1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari (optional)
1 pound oyster mushrooms
8 ounces baby bok choy
2 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons panang or red curry paste
1 can (15 ounces) full-fat coconut milk
½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
4 scallions, thinly sliced on a sharp diagonal, for garnish
1. Put the optional tofu and optional tamari in a medium bowl and toss gently. Set aside.
2. Quarter the mushrooms lengthwise. If the bok choy clusters are very small, they may be left whole or quartered lengthwise; otherwise,cut them crosswise into slices about ½-inch wide.
3. Put a large saucepan over high heat and add the oil. Tilt the saucepan back and forth until the oil melts and is evenly distributed. Add the mushrooms and bok choy. Stir briskly to prevent sticking until the bok choy wilts, about 1 minute.
4. Stir in the curry paste until well distributed. Add the coconut milk and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, decrease the heat to medium, and simmer until the mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes.
5. Add the tofu, if using, and warm through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Divide among four bowls and garnish generously with the scallions. Serve at once.