Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Joe’s Un-Clams Casino
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 18 minutes
- Servings : 16
Thanks to Carolyn Scott-Hamilton of The Healthy Voyager series for sharing this super yummy vegan appetizer with us! It’s from her new cookbook, The Healthy Voyager’s Global Kitchen, which “veganizes” her favorite dishes from Europe, Asia, and South America. Most of the recipes have gluten-free options as well!
2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
2 ounces (55 g) sliced vegan bacon, finely chopped
1⁄3 cup (53 g) chopped shallot
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1⁄2 cup (75 g) finely chopped red bell pepper
1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
3 tablespoons (42 g) vegan butter
2 tablespoons (30 ml) dry white wine
1⁄4 cup (30 g) shredded vegan mozzarella, plus extra for sprinkling
2 tablespoons (14 g) Italian bread crumbs
1 cup (70 g) chopped oyster mushrooms
1 cup (70 g) chopped porcini, cremini, or portobello mushrooms
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons (28 g) vegan butter, melted
16 small romaine spears or crackers
Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the vegan bacon and sauté until crisp and golden, 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a plate.
2. Add the shallot, garlic, bell pepper, oregano, lemon juice, and butter to the same skillet and sauté until the shallots are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until it is almost evaporated,
about 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and cool completely.
3. Stir in the cooked vegan bacon, vegan cheese, bread crumbs, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Think of it as stuffing; you don’t want it to be too dry. Preheat the oven to 500°F (250°C, or gas
4. Grease a muffin pan and fill each cup halfway with the mixture. Brush the tops with a little of the melted butter. Bake until they are just cooked through and the topping is golden, about 8 minutes. Be sure not to dry them out. If you want to serve these on decorative heatproof spoons, it’s
best to bake them in the spoons so you don’t have to transfer them. They’re also nice in soufflé tarts.
5. Spoon out the mixture into the center of a romaine spear or cracker. Sprinkle with a little vegan mozzarella, and serve as appetizers with a wedge of lemon for extra zest.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.