Vegan Recipe - Hummus Stuffed Baked Jalapeno Poppers
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 25 minutes
- Servings : 8-10 as an appetizer
Thanks to Caryn Dugan from STL Veg Girl for sharing this yummy appetizer!
Caryn says, “Another old favorite turned healthy, these hummus stuffed jalapeno poppers will be a hit at your party! Even if it’s just a party of one, these little guys are super easy to make in bulk and eat all week.”
2 14 oz cans of chickpeas
juice of 1 lemon
4 garlic cloves
2 heaping tablespoons tahini paste
1 jar roasted red peppers
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
3/4 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. In a blender, combine the chickpeas through the broth to make the hummus and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut jalapenos in half (lengthwise) and remove seeds.
3. You'll need three shallow bowls now. One for the whole wheat flour, one for the almond milk and in the third bowl, sift together the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, paprika and salt.
4. Scoop hummus into jalapenos and dip them into the almond milk. Roll jalapenos in the flour and dip into milk again. Now, roll in breadcrumb mixture, and place on to a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Spray lightly with olive oil spray and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until they begin to brown.