Vegan Recipe - Hanukkah Latkes
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Servings : 12
Whether you’re celebrating Hanukkah or you just want to make these tasty potato treats, we have a super yummy vegan latke recipe for you! This vegan latke (potato pancake) recipe uses egg replacer. We used Ener-G egg replacer for the vegan latkes we made in this photo, and we also chopped the potatoes in a blender instead of grating them. You can also choose a homemade egg substitute.
Approx 2 pounds of peeled potatoes, whole (or diced if you use a blender)
⅓ sweet onion
Egg substitute for 2 "eggs" (use Ener-G Egg Replacer): 3 teaspoons of mix combined with 4 tablespoons of warm water = 2 “eggs”
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
oil for frying
1. Mix the Ener-G Egg Replacer in a small bowl according to the instructions. Set aside.
2. Grate the potatoes and onion into a large bowl. You can use a box grater if you do it by hand. However, either a food processor or blender makes the task easier. If you use a blender, the consistency of the potatoes will be batter-like but the pancakes will be fine.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, except oil, to the potato and onion mixture and combine well.
4. Heat about three tablespoons of oil in a frying pan (the oil should cover the bottom of the pan) and drop the potato mixture into the pan, about 2 soupspoons of batter for each pancake. Flatten the batter to form pancakes. Add oil if needed as the pancakes cook. (You will have to add oil to the frying pan for each batch of pancakes.)
5. When the pancakes are golden brown, flip them. As soon as the pancakes are brown on both sides (and the potatoes are cooked), remove the pancakes and let them drain on a plate covered with a paper towel.
6. Serve warm with applesauce.