Vegan Recipe - Greek Fava Dip in the Instant Pot
- Prep Time : 1 minute
- Cook Time : 10 minutes
- Servings : 6
Have you ever tried fava??? It’s a traditional dish from the Greek island of Crete made from yellow split peas (not fava beans). And you can make it in just 10 minutes in the Instant Pot!
I love this easy vegan recipe because it’s inexpensive, packed with protein, and so yummy. Since it’s so quick to make it in the IP now, I’ve been enjoying it at least once a week. Serve with fresh bread, celery and carrot sticks, or just eat with a spoon! Sometimes I add capers or sun-dried tomatoes into the serving dish. See what you might like. Fava is both vegan and gluten-free, which makes it an easy dish for a potluck and a great dip for parties too. Hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Chef’s note: the proportion of water to split peas in this recipe is made to serve immediately. You can store the cooked fava in your refrigerator. It will become solid once it cools. To serve the next day, simply add water and fava to a pot, stirring in the water until the fava reaches your desired consistency. (You may find that you need to add more salt as well.) Heat on low until the fava and water are well combined.
2 cups yellow split peas
4 cups water
4 teaspoons thyme
2 teaspoons salt
olive oil for serving
parsley for garnish
1. Rinse the split peas in a strainer. Sift through with your fingers to remove any stones.
2. Open the IP and add the water, thyme, salt and rinsed split peas to the metal cooking container. Stir.
3. Seal the IP by turning the lid to the "lock" position. Push the sealing vent to the "closed" position. Start the Pressure Cook cycle for 10 minutes.
4. Once the cook time is complete, turn off the IP and let the pressure release naturally. (ie. Don't touch anything for about 10-15 minutes.) Wait for the silver pressure release button to sink on its own. Once the pressure has been released, open the lid to the IP and stir for about a minute with a large spoon. This will break up the split peas and create a creamy dip.
5. Serve immediately and top with olive oil and parsley.