Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Grape Leaves
- Prep Time : 45 minutes
- Cook Time : 1 hr 15 mins
- Servings : 30 grape leaf rolls
Thank you to Chef Elizabeth Schandelmeier Gilgunn of Slow Cooked Pittsburgh for sharing her super yummy recipe with us and also to her photographer friend Christian Kahle for the photo!
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
2 yellow onions, small dice (optional)
1 cup uncooked rice (short grain is best, long grain will do)
3 cups water (divided)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 teaspoon salt
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
1 jar grape leaves, rinsed well in cold water (if they are tough, they will need to be boiled for 30 minutes)
Juice from 1 lemon
1. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil and sauté the onions (if using) over medium heat until they are soft and translucent. Add the rice and continue to stir until the rice changes color (it becomes more white, don’t let the rice brown!), cover the pot, turn the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the water, 1 cup water, dill, mint salt and pepper, simmer 5 minutes then allow to cool.
3. Line the bottom of a heavy pan with a lid with extra grape leaves (and lemon rings, if desired).
4. To stuff leaves, rinse each well and lay them out in rows and columns. The shiny side of the leaf should be down, the stem side should be facing up toward you. Place one tablespoon of filling in the center of each grape leaf, first folding in the sides, then rolling from the bottom. Be sure to roll each leaf loosely as the rice will expand as it cooks.
5. Layer rolls in the heavy pan; pour remaining 2 cups water, lemon juice and olive oil over top. Add another layer of flat grape leaves to cover and weigh down with a heatproof plate. Cover and simmer approximately 1 ½ hours (you can begin to check after 1 hour—how will you know? You have to try one, of course!)