Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Fall Harvest Farro with Butternut Squash, Peas and Golden Raisins
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Servings : 2 as a main dish, 4 as a side dish
Thanks to Caryn Dugan from STL Veg Girl for sharing this tasty fall recipe!
Caryn says, “New to farro? Well, this ancient grain has been around for quite some time and you’ll LOVE getting to know it! The plump little grains add some real umph to any dish. Cook it in vegetable broth to infuse more flavor, and then either create a dish out of it as we have done here or use it in place of rice or quinoa in your burritos, tacos or stir-frys, too.”
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
1 cup semi-pearled farro
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1 cup butternut squash, cut into 1” pieces, baked
3/4 cup frozen green peas
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/2-3/4 cup raw cashews, coarsely chopped
Sea salt / ground black pepper to taste
1. In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, pour in 1/4 cup of the broth. Allow to heat up and add in the onion. Begin to sauté. Stir often. Once onion is translucent, add in the garlic and continue to stir (you don’t want to burn the garlic). Add more broth if you need to.
2. After about 30 seconds, create a well in the center of the pan (move the mixture to the sides) and add the cumin seeds to the empty area. In about 20 seconds, they will begin to crackle a bit. Incorporate all the ingredients together, add in the coriander and the chili powder, and continue to stir. Next add the farro and coat the grain well.
3. Pour in the remaining vegetable broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes, until the liquid has been soaked up and the farro is plump. Add the coconut milk and continue to cook for another 5 minutes and then take off heat.
4. Gently toss in the butternut squash, green peas and golden raisins. Add salt/pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with cashews. Serve hot.