Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Carrot Top Soup
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 30 minutes
- Servings : 6
I hate wasting food! I frequently buy my carrots at the local farmers market and they come with the lovely green carrot tops. For months I would remove the greens and toss them away. I decided there must be something I could do with these lovely greens and this carrot top soup has become one of my favorite recipes :)
It’s quick, it’s easy and most importantly, it’s delicious!
Chef’s note: I used the Lotus Foods Red Rice to add extra color and texture to this soup.
2 cups chopped carrot tops
2 chopped carrots
3 stalks chopped celery
1 medium potato
2 bouillon cubes
6 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 cup uncooked red rice
1, Cook rice in a separate pot according to package instructions.
2. While rice is cooking, prepare the soup. Dice carrots and celery. Heat 2 Tbps of olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the diced carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. While the celery and carrots are cooking, finely chop the rinsed carrot tops until you have at least 2 cups worth of greens. Dice the potato.
4. Add 6 cups of boiling water and 2 vegan bouillon cubes to the pot. Stir until the bouillon cubes are dissolved. Add the chopped carrot top greens and potato.
5. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until the greens are completely cooked. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve in individual bowls. Add cooked red rice for extra texture.
Chef's note: Canned beans may be added to cooked soup for extra protein and texture.