Vegan Recipe - Candied Yams
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 1 hour and 20 minutes
- Servings : 12
Delicious at Thanksgiving or anytime, this candied yam recipe adds a sweet treat to any meal. We made a vegan version this traditional Thanksgiving recipe. But truth be told, we like to eat this recipe all year round!
Reprinted with permission from It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan by Rebecca Gilbert.
10 medium yams
Large pot of boiling water
½ cup margarine
¾ teaspoon salt, add more to taste
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
¾ cup pecans, chopped (optional)
1. Wash yams thoroughly. Place in large pot of boiling water. Be sure yams are covered with water. Bring water to boil again. Then simmer yams for about 40 minutes, until tender.
2. Drain yams. Cool. Peel yams and slice.
3. In a large skillet, mix margarine, salt, sugar, vanilla, and ½ cup water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and cook 3 minutes, uncovered.
4. Reduce heat. Add yams and pecans to mixture in skillet. Heat uncovered for about 5 minutes.
5. Serve yams alone or with nuts spooned over them.