Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Butternut Squash Risotto with Mushrooms and Spinach
- Prep Time : 10 min (use pre-diced squash and cook while the rice is cooking)
- Cook Time : 45 mimutes
- Servings : 6
Thanks to Caryn Dugan from STL Veg Girl for sharing this tried and true Thanksgiving recipe!
Caryn says, “Inspired by the holiday season upon us, this butternut squash risotto is a perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table. Let’s be real, you can add this to any table, any time of the year. By switching out the squash for say, chickpeas and swapping kale for spinach, you’ve just made a completely new meal! Play with spices, add in your own flavors, this dish is all yours!”
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups diced butternut squash (1-1 1/2 inch cubes)
olive oil spray
1 shallot, diced
2 cups mushrooms, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
Sea salt/ground pepper
2 cups baby spinach, washed
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray squash with oil and transfer to pan. Sprinkle salt/pepper and roast for about 30 minutes, tossing a few times during cooking.
2. In a large sauce pan, heat up the vegetable broth and keep it warm.
3. In a separate large sauce pan over high heat, spray the pan with olive oil and saute the shallot and the mushrooms. Cook for about 4-5 minutes and then add in the garlic. Saute Garlic only for about a minute. Careful to not burn the garlic. Add the rice and gently stir the mixture together. Add in the wine and let simmer for a minute or so. Add one ladle of broth at a time to the rice and stir. When the rice has soaked up all the broth, add another ladle. Do this until all the broth is gone and the rice is cooked al dente. This should take about 20 minutes or so.
4. Remove the rice from the heat and fold in the spinach and the nutritional yeast. When the spinach has wilted, fold in the butternut squash. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.