Vegan Recipe - Bourbon Tempeh Sliders
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 20 minutes
- Servings : 6
A big thank you to Brian Patton, aka The Sexy Vegan, for sharing this super yummy vegan party recipe! Make Brian’s Smoked Cheddar Cheese sauce in advance to save time on party day.
Brian says, “If you’re only making one batch of these sliders, I recommend that you eat them alone. If someone walks in on you, you’d best get into an elbowy defensive position and prepare for battle.” Hmmm… we think to protect yourself, it’s best to make two batches!
Excerpted with permission from The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Dude ©2012 by Brian Patton. Published with permission of New World Library. Photo credit by Hilary McHone.
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
One 8-ounce package tempeh, cut into six 2-inch-by-
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cup bourbon
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup vegetable stock
2 teaspoons arrowroot dissolved in 1-teaspoon water
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons Smoked Cheddar Sauce (optional), warmed
6 mini buns (about 2 inches wide), halved
4 packed cups baby spinach
1 Roma tomato, cut into 6 slices
1. In a pan, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh to the pan, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned on one side, then flip and brown the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Re-move the tempeh from the pan, and set aside.
2. Add the onion to the same pan and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until slightly browned and soft. So as to not set yourself on fire, turn off the flame, and add the bourbon to the pan. Now let the bourbon simmer over medium heat for 1 minute, or until reduced by half.
3. Stir in the brown sugar, and simmer until it dissolves, about
1 minute. Add the vegetable stock, and simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes. Stir in the arrowroot slurry, continuing to simmer for about 1 more minute.
4. When the sauce begins to thicken, add the tempeh to the pan and coat it with the sauce. Cook for 1 to 2 more minutes, or until the sauce reduces to a glaze. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Time for assembly. If using the smoked cheddar sauce, spread it on the inside of the buns. Assemble the sandwiches from the bottom up in the following order: 1 bun half, 1 piece of tempeh, a little of the bourbon sauce and onions, a few spinach leaves, 1 tomato slice, a pinch of salt, and the other bun half.