Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Vegan Recipe - Twice Baked Potatoes
- Prep Time : 25 minutes
- Cook Time : 60 minutes
- Servings : 6
This is a delicious vegan recipe for company or entertaining. Twice baked potatoes are creamy, elegant and 100% dairy-free!
3 very large russet potatoes, scrubbed, baked, and cooled (see note)
1 cup cooked white beans (drained and rinsed if canned)
¼ cup nondairy milk, plus more as needed
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
⅛ teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan pink salt, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons diced sweet red pepper
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a small, rimmed baking pan with unbleached parchment paper.
2. Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the pulp, using a teaspoon or grapefruit spoon, leaving about ¼ inch of the potato skin and pulp intact.
3. Put the potato pulp, white beans, non-dairy milk, garlic powder, and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a high-performance blending appliance and process until smooth. If the mixture is still lumpy, add more non-dairy milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, to achieve a smooth consistency.
4. Put the potato mixture in a medium bowl. Gently stir in the onion and pepper. Using a large spoon or piping bag, spoon or pipe one-sixth of the potato mixture into each potato skin. Place the potato on the prepared baking pan. Repeat until all of the potato skins are filled. Sprinkle the tops of each potato with paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste.
5. Tent the baking pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops are crispy and slightly golden. Cool for 5 to 7 minutes and serve.
Chef's Note: The russet potatoes may be baked up to 24 hours in advance of preparing this recipe. After they have cooled, wrap them tightly in foil and store them in the refrigerator until use.