Vegan Recipe - Baked Macaroni and “Cheese” with a Spelt Breadcrumb Topping
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- Servings : 4 - 6
The lovely sisters from Spork Foods, Heather and Jenny, shared this fabulous vegan mac ‘n cheese recipe with us from their cookbook Spork-Fed! Try making this recipe with rice or quinoa pasta to create a completely gluten-free recipe.
Heather and Jenny said, “This mac ‘n cheese is one of our most popular dishes! It goes over well with everyone, not only vegans, and has even converted a few non-vegans on the spot. For a really cute presentation, bake it in individual, brightly colored ramekins, and give each of your guests their own scoop of heaven.”
For the pasta:
6-8 cups water for boiling, salted
12 ounces quinoa or spelt elbow macaroni
For the sauce:
1/3 cup non-dairy butter
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond or soymilk
2/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon light miso paste
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons mustard, stone ground or German
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Bring salted water to boil in a large (6-quart) pot. Add macaroni and cook as described on package, about 7-9 minutes.
While the macaroni is cooking, let's make the sauce.
3. Heat a medium (4-quart) pot over medium heat. Add vegan butter and flour. Whisk together to form a paste, creating a roux.
4. Add almond or soymilk, nutritional yeast, sea salt, black pepper, garlic, miso, leom juice and mustard. Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and creamy.
5. Once macaroni is finished cooking, drain and add to the pot with the sauce. Mix thoroughly to coat.
6. Place mixture in a greased 8 x 8 baking dish, or 6 personal ramekins or cocottes, and top with bread crumbs.
7. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until bubbles appear in center of dish. Serve warm from the oven.