Vegan Recipe - African Collard Stir-Fry
- Prep Time : 10 miniutes
- Cook Time : 15 minutes
- Servings : 3-5
Christy says, “I love Southern comfort-style collard greens, but most of the time the dish is full of oil and fat, and the greens are cooked until there is no life left in them. This is my healthier, more vibrant version with a touch of orange.”
Tip: A chiffonade is a fine slice or shred of leafy vegetables or herbs. To chiffonade, simply stack a few leaves, roll them into a cigar shape, and slice. Remember to remove any tough, woody stems that you want to exclude from your preparation.
This recipe has been used by permission from BenBella Books.
1/2 cup water
2 cups matchstick-cut sweet potatoes
Pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon peanut butter
2 tablespoons tamari
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 cup matchstick-cut carrot
2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
1 bunch collards, stems removed, leaves in chiffonade (see Tip), 4 stems thinly sliced on diagonal
1. Heat water in a medium skillet. When water boils, add sweet potato and salt, cover with lid, and simmer for three to five minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together juice, peanut butter, tamari, and curry powder.
3. Add carrots, raisins, if using, and collards with sauce mix in skillet.
4. Let simmer for 3–5 minutes until all the veggies are tender but not mushy.
5. Stir occasionally to coat the greens with the sauce.