Yummy Plants: a vegan lifestyle website and community. We can help you start a vegan diet!
Fridge Stocking Strategies for 5-Minute Meals #1
We’ve all been there… you get home from work super late and you are starving! Even when you’re trying try to be conscious of eating fresh and healthy meals, as you hear the fierce growling in your stomach, it’s easy to settle for pasta and canned sauce. But… if you cook a few things on the weekend, you’ll have lots of leftovers to make a new dish!
Our top picks:
● Steamed broccoli: it’s an attractive garnish and has lots of calcium.
● Steamed potatoes: they can add texture to a dish and are a good source of Vitamin B6.
● Steamed carrots: they are an excellent source of Vitamin A and add sweetness and color to a green dish.
● Quinoa: is the only complete protein of the grains and it contains all of the essential amino acids. It can be used a base for a sweet breakfast treat with berries or part of a complex savory dinner.
Add one or more of these fresh ingredients:
● Spinach: fresh or wilted, it’s an excellent source of Vitamins C and K.
● Kale: rich in anti-oxidants, it is also known for lowering cholesterol. You can squeeze some fresh lime juice on the leaves while cooking to reduce the bitterness.
● Tomatoes: a great source of lycopene, they’re sweet and come in a variety of colors for a main dish or garnish.
Top with fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley or chives. Or make a creamy sauce for your dish with dill and coconut milk yogurt.
If you have more than five minutes, here is wonderful video about how to prepare spicy broccoli rabe with garlic from the Undici Taverna Rustica in New Jersey.