Fridge Stocking Strategies for 5-Minute Meals #1
Healthy eating can be quick! The trick is to prep and cook veggies when I have time, so my fridge/ freezer is always stocked with vitamin-packed foods. That way if I get home from work late, and the fierce growling in my stomach threatens to disturb the neighbors next door, I won’t have to settle for pasta and canned sauce. By cooking a few things on the weekend, I’ll have lots of leftovers to make a new dish!
My top picks:
● Steamed broccoli: it’s an attractive garnish and has lots of calcium.
● Steamed potatoes: they can add texture to a dish and are a good source of Vitamin B6.
● Steamed carrots: they are an excellent source of Vitamin A and add sweetness and color to a green dish.
● Quinoa: is the only complete protein of the grains and it contains all of the essential amino acids. It can be used a base for a sweet breakfast treat with berries or part of a complex savory dinner.
Add one or more of these fresh ingredients:
● Spinach: fresh or wilted, it’s an excellent source of Vitamins C and K.
● Kale: rich in anti-oxidants, it is also known for lowering cholesterol. You can squeeze some fresh lime juice on the leaves while cooking to reduce the bitterness.
● Tomatoes: a great source of lycopene, they’re sweet and come in a variety of colors for a main dish or garnish.
Top with fresh herbs like cilantro, parsley or chives. Or make a creamy sauce for your dish with dill and coconut milk yogurt.
If you have more than five minutes, here is wonderful video about how to prepare spicy broccoli rabe with garlic from the Undici Taverna Rustica in New Jersey.
Rebecca Gilbert is the founder of Yummy Plants and the author of It’s Easy to Start Eating Vegan. She’s a world traveler whose passion is to share the joy of vegan food and connect vegans all around the world. Rebecca is a former competitive figure skater whose switch to a vegan diet healed her chronic joint pain. She has appeared on Pittsburgh Today Live and been a featured speaker at the San Francisco World Veg Festival, Vegetarian Summerfest, and Paris Vegan Day.